DSpace Repository

Sero-detection of Herpes Simplex Virus Type-2 Antibodies among Pregnant Women, Wad Medani Maternity Teaching Hospital, Gezira State, Sudan (2017)

Show simple item record

dc.contributor.author Baabdah, Awad Mohammed Awad
dc.date.accessioned 2018-10-16T11:29:53Z
dc.date.available 2018-10-16T11:29:53Z
dc.date.issued 2018-05
dc.identifier.uri http://repo.uofg.edu.sd/handle/123456789/2440
dc.description A Dissertation Submitted to University of Gezira in Partial Fulfillment of the Requirements for the Award of the Degree of Master of Science in Medical Microbiology Department of Medical Microbiology Faculty of Medical Laboratory Science May 2018 en_US
dc.description.abstract Herpes simplex-2 virus (HSV-2) infections in pregnant women can cause undesirable congenital complications that can result into miscarriage. Miscarriage has been defined as the termination of pregnancy, either spontaneously or by intervention before the fetus reaches viability.Recurrent spontaneous abortion (RSA) refers to the consecutive occurrence of fatal loss happening more than two times before 28 gestational weeks (body weight < 1000 g)with the same sex partner. This is study aimed to determine the frequency of herpes simplex virus-2 among recurrent miscarriage women, and non-miscarriage women in Gezira state.In this study, 90 blood samples were collected, 45(case samples) fromwomen with recurrent miscarriage, while 45 (control samples) from non- miscarriage pregnant women. Both case and control samples were from women at reproductive age (17-47).Case and control samples were collected from Obstetrics and Gynecology Hospital, Wad-Madani. Five ml of blood specimen was collected from each participate and dispensed into sterile EDTA blood container and then obtain the plasma. The plasmawere examined for the presence of HSV-2 IgG antibodies and HSV-2 IgM antibodies. Detection for the presence of HSV-2 IgG and IgM antibodies were done by using enzyme linked immune sorbent assay (ELISA).Our result showed 17 out of 90 (case) and (control), (18.9%) were positive for HSV-2 IgG. in cases we fuond13/45(28.8%) werepositive, while 4of 45control (8.89%)were positive and the rest of control (91.1%) were negative. For IgM, all test and control samples were revealed negative.The risk facto of HSV-2 IgG antibodies according to miscarriage was significantly (P=0.015) higher in women with recurrent miscarriage13/90(14.4%) as compared to non-miscarriage 4/90(4.4%) women, and Odds ratios was 0.240.In the present study the frequency of HSV-2 IgG antibodies revealed higher in the women who had the last miscarriage within the last two years11/90(12.2%),in the first trimester 8/90(8.9%),with regular menstruationcycle’sand age above 30 years, showed same percentage9/90(10%),(P<0.05) en_US
dc.description.sponsorship Nadir Musa Khalil Abuzeid ( Main Supervisor) Bakri Yousif Mohamed Nour ( Co- Supervisor ) en_US
dc.language.iso en en_US
dc.publisher University of Gezira en_US
dc.subject Herpes en_US
dc.subject pregnant women en_US
dc.title Sero-detection of Herpes Simplex Virus Type-2 Antibodies among Pregnant Women, Wad Medani Maternity Teaching Hospital, Gezira State, Sudan (2017) en_US
dc.type Thesis en_US


Files in this item

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show simple item record

Search DSpace


Browse

My Account